Last week, I talked about how I felt on my over spending during my travel. I learned my lessons and I’d be more careful next time. Planning ahead definitely helps because last-minute arrangements often leave you with limited, expensive options.
However, if there’s one thing that I realized I was right about, that would be on my choices of accomodation.
While I acknowledge that there may have been other ways to save on accomodation, I felt that I actually made a practical choice afterall. See, I had to meet my sister and her husband in Baguio the day before we took the five-hour trip to Sagada. Our scheduled departure is 5:00 AM so we needed a place to stay for a night. I immediately searched Airbnb for listings.
Why Airbnb? It is a practical choice for groups of 3 or more. I would say, this is the modern version of the traditional transient house offerings which was a big thing in touristy cities like Baguio. I had less than a week to prepare at that time and hotel booking rates are already going up. Airbnb offers cheaper options; where more than 2 guests are allowed without the burden of paying for extra beds. I chose French Nest because of its location, and somewhat positive reviews:
Now, we also needed to spend the night in Baguio (again) three days after our Sagada trip so I had to book another place. I went for a hotel this time for three reasons:
1. We will be dead tired after all the trekking and caving that we did in Sagada, plus the long trip back to Baguio, so a hotel felt a lot more comfortable and convenient.
2. We need the free breakfast the next morning (which most hotels offer).
3. The hotel that I liked still has vacancy! And still within the price range that I find convincing.
This time, I used my Agoda account and stayed right at the center of Baguio City:
Now, should you book from Airbnb on your next travel? Or should you stick to a hotel? I’d say it really depends on your preferences. Here are my tips.
Choose Airbnb when:
1. You are travelling in a group of three or more. The larger the group, the more reason that you book an apartment or an entire house via Airbnb.
2. When you need a place to stay for more than two days, this is certainly a cheaper option. You will be able to save on food because most hosts allow their guests to cook (and they actually provide pans and other kitchen utensils).
Book a hotel when:
1. When you are picky like me. When you have certain expectations such as complete toiletries, free breakfast, and the usual hotel offerings.
2. If you are travelling alone! You do not need an entire apartment or house for yourself. A small hotel room will do.
Out of all the hotel booking sites or apps out there, I find Agoda to be the most user-friendly. I have been their customer since 2013.
Aren’t we glad that all these very convenient ways to book our accommodations these days exist? We do not need to buy local papers anymore just to see the ads, and only to find out that the ones we liked are already fully booked when we call. With all these apps, we can get all the information that we need in just a few clicks.
Do you have other tips to save on accommodation when travelling?