So last week, I started listing down different things on how I plan to save money, one week at a time. Because I am that guy who finds it very hard to save money, I decided to make it a weekly plan instead of a daily plan, at least as a start. I am hoping that it will become a regular habit in the future, and blogging about it keeps me motivated. In a way, it pushes me to discipline myself knowing that I would end up deleting all these money-saving-tips posts if I won’t do them.
Now, before I list down the things that I plan to give up in order to save money in 2018, here are the ones that I already gave up in the past years which have helped me save money:
1. Television – It’s been four years since I gave up television! Prior to that, I couldn’t seem to live without it.
2. Cable subscription – I have had cable TV since college. I am so happy that I was able to make cable TV a thing of my past.
3. Fast food – I still eat fast food everyday, but managed to turn it from three times a day to just 5-6 times a week. That’s an improvement, but I am aware that it is still an issue health-wise.
4. Movies – I went from 2-3 times a month to once every 2-3 months.
I didn’t even realize these four helped me save money in a way, it would have been nice if I was able to track my before and after expenses with them.
Moving on, I now turn to the hard part of consciously identifying the things that I could give up in order to save money. I say “could” instead of “should” because just like my weekly plan, I do not want this to be a forced activity. So in 2018, I believe I could give up the following:
1. Uber and Grab – I took a trycicle and a jeepney ride to work for the first time yesterday, and I was very happy with my accomplishment. I initially planned to do it on a Friday, but I did it on a busy Monday! In 2018, I plan to do this more often. For my safety, I will still be booking Grab or Uber to get home.
2. McDonald’s Coffee – I am not a fan of Starbucks but I drink a large coffee from McDonald’s at work everyday. That is still 42 pesos times five. As an alternative, I am getting a coffee maker for myself this Christmas. I’ll brew my own coffee and bring it to work!
3. Eating out – This is my ultimate weakness because I don’t cook, and I am too lazy to cook. My philosophy is – I’d rather save my time and energy preparing my food in to doing something else. And by preparing food, that includes going to the market or grocery up to the time you need to wash the dishes. That’s exhausting! Why do I have to endure all that when I can just go somewhere else to eat and leave when I’m finished?
But because I am on the mission to save money, I will start limiting this habit. I think the weekly plan that I just started works for me. I know it will be difficult but I’m up for this challenge.
So these are the three things that I think I could give up or limit this coming 2018. They are not something that I could promise to let go totally, but who knows? That’s the good thing about not forcing myself to make abrupt changes, it becomes easier when I do one small step a a time. Starting big never worked for me as I have been conditioned this way for so long.
I am hopeful that I would be able to add more to this list before 2017 ends. I have over a month left to prepare so wish me luck!
What are the things that you have given up, or plan to give up to save money?